There are around 4000 Management colleges in India and management studies are one of the most popular study streams across sectors. Management education is immensely helpful to improve leadership skills, understanding of finance, corporate operations, and basic nitty-gritties of business, that is the common understanding. But the real question is how we can boost ourselves with MBA degree, let us explore 10 ways to do so.
- Grades. Are not everything: Management is a practical science; academics matters but not as much as it does in 12th grade. One must understand that knowledge about 7ps of marketing is different from practically preparing a marketing plan for a new product. Markets are brutal so managers are expected to deliver 100% every time which makes practical exposure extremely important. Your coursework is one thing, and I am not suggesting to discard it completely but idea is to maximize your exposure so that you can gain knowledge and practical insights as much as possible. Encourage yourself to explore new things, that online course in data science, Digital marketing assignments, Entrepreneurs club to launch your idea etc. are the good ways to explore more.
- Take advantage of available resources: I know several MBA graduates who have never visited their colleges career counselling centre, spent truly little time in library, and probably not even aware about excellent research papers available in their college library. MBA courses and Managements institutes provide excellent opportunities and resources for students and its student’s duty to take advantage of these resources. That Database in your library, Research papers of your specialization and faculties that are knowledge pool can become missed opportunities.
- Challenge Yourself: Challenge yourself to raise your standard to reach at top of your class. Challenge yourself to win that prestigious gold medal your university offers. But while challenging yourself remember that you can only win by learning more. Keep focused on learning more, faster.
- Show Up Every day: Showing up every day is a very simple thing one should do while pursuing MBA degree, this not only inculcate an immense discipline within you (which you will cherish for Life) but also gives you chance to learn every day, Attend college with mindset to learn and being inspired by the passion & people around you.
- Do not Get Overwhelmed: Modern day MBA offers a wide range of study as well as practical exposure and I have already suggested you, to make most out of these opportunities. But here is the word of caution, do not get yourself a plate which is more then you can chew. It may sound contradictory, but reality is that if you overwhelmed yourself, then you will end up screwing all the task at hand so explore more but know your limits and choose wisely, choose activities and assignment based on your preferences and things you love to do, so that you do not feel burdened and enjoy while attempting them.
- Take part in Competitions: Practical exposure without having an actual job is tough but getting closure to those exposure is possible. You may experience the real-world pressure, Teamwork, Brain storming and implementation by participating in good management competitions. One Such competition which can give you unique experience, is National Management Olympiad. Do participate in such competition, these will give you an edge by giving you a close-to-reality experience of real business solving situations which comes very handy while attempting job interview, sharing experiences, and tacking issues while you are at real job.
- Do something memorable for the Class: This may sound silly but trust me bonds you will make with your fellow management students can become an amazing support system both in professional and personal front. Doing small favours to people makes them happily remember you and may be help you at the later stage.
- No way around to Hard skills: Do not skip those “Excel Class” Or that Interview soft skill training, there are few hard skills which is incredibly useful in real life. In fact, these skills help you immensely in real world scenarios especially during initial years of your career.
- Networking Opportunities: Most people underestimate the value of networks, but you will be amazed when you approach alumni from your management college, and they immediately connect with you. compare it yourself, just assume that you are a CEO of a Multinational Company, and your secretary enters your room and announced that a) some random guy is calling you and b) your college’s junior is calling you, on which call you will spend your next 5 min on. You got the gist, feeling of nostalgia is an extraordinarily strong feeling and when it combined with a sense of support to a group which you are part of then this makes most things favourable.
- Unique and vibrant Opportunities: Your MBA degree also gives you chance to work with some amazingly unique opportunities. Which span from co-founding a company to taking charge of sales organisation in an assigned territory for a big Company, You may be requested to shift your base to another part of the country or may be other part of the world, OR internship in your dream company, opportunities can be in many forms and you can best utilize these opportunities by choosing correct one for yourself.
Basically, MBA education has plethora of things to offer and it is up to us how much we can explore, enjoy & utilize.
Keep visiting this space for more such info.